Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Good Directions and Turnip Greens

Thought I would post some odds & ends that I've experienced or noticed during my stay in Australia ...

  • Within my first hour walking around downtown Sydney, an Aussie asked me for directions and I was actually able to give her correct ones.
  • Australian hamburger meat tastes somewhat different than American hamburger ... guess they just grow the cattle different down here.
  • There are directions painted on the crosswalk in Sydney telling you which way to look for oncoming traffic ... saved my head a couple of times.
  • The cost of living is higher in Brisbane than in Chicago ... an 18-pack of soft drinks (not soda, not pop) costs about $12 ... a 24-pack of bottled water costs about $10 ... however, the produce is fresh and cheaper than Chicago - so let's see if I actually start to eat healthier here.
  • A "good" Australian bitter beer tastes like Keystone Light ... I haven't found anything up to standard drinking yet, but at least it doesn't cost that much (sorry Mom).
  • As of now, I have limited use of the internet at work and I have to sit out in the courtyard in order to jump onto someone else's wireless signal, so please be patient if I don't immediately respond back. You will get a quicker response if you use my work email (I changed the email link on the blog).
  • The people over here are really friendly and funny ... if you ever have to chance to visit (either now while you have a free couch to sleep on) or later, you must do it. Until next time, cheers!

2 comments:

Jano Fabulous said...

Excellent post title... love that you referenced the lyrics to "our song". Maybe you don't consider it "our song" but I do :)

Sarah said...

Sounds like fun times down under!

I'm so jealous! You are required to enjoy this as much as possible!! keep outta trouble and keep us updated!