Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dear Diary ... Day 2

Day 2: Tuesday July 10
6am (PST): Awaken by hotel wake up call at 6am LA time. Ignore it and try to go back to sleep. Turns out to be a pseudo-important phone call.

9am: As I head out the door for breakfast there’s a letter from Qantas outside my door apologizing for the delayed flight. The big news is that the cancelled flight has been rescheduled for 10am LA time. As it is 9am out on the West coast, I have an hour to get things together and get to the airport.

9:20am: On the way to the airport there are several of us from the cancelled Qantas flight who received the rescheduling info via the doorstep letter. After talking we come to the conclusion that the wake up call was to alert us of the revised flight time. Too bad the call was automated and everyone ignored it.

9:30am: Arrive at the airport and have to recheck in. The one good thing about this is that I am placed in an exit row so I will have plenty of room to stretch out.

10:15am: Finally board the plan with the expected departure time being 10:30am – just 12 hours behind schedule – and the arrival in Sydney at 6pm on Wednesday.

11am: Still waiting to leave the gate and am stuck watching “Bean” on British TV. Worst. Show. Ever.
Good news is that no one is sitting in the seat behind me so I can lay the seat all the way back. It’s the simple things in life that make things tolerable.

11:45am: And I’m off … for the second time in less than a day. There are two babies in the middle rows adjacent to me. Hopefully they won’t be too fussy throughout the flight.

12:20ish pm: Braised beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread, and salad. Not too shabby for an in-flight lunch.

12:30pm: The lunch was actually tasty. Kudos Qantas. Glad to see that something finally went right.

1:52pm: 6,390 miles to Sydney. 11:44 left in the flight. Half way between LA & Hawaii.

2:20pm: Babies are fussy but a little “The Office” on the television and some classic rock to listen to make it bearable. Gotta love the little screens at your seat that you can watch movies, television shows, listen to music and play games on.

5:45pm: Half-way to Sydney!! Only 3,670 miles to go. Currently watching “300” – it’s a must see if you haven’t watched it yet.

8:10pm: I am an official time traveler (and a dork) – just crossed the International Date Line. Someone smells like dirty diapers. Hopefully it’s the baby across the aisle and not the old guy sitting next to me. Tom & Shelley-thanks for suggesting I wear comfy shorts and bring running pants instead of wearing jeans. I still haven’t tried to sleep yet. Considering there’s a little over 5 hours left in the flight I probably won’t rest my eyes. Starting to ramble … need to get up and walk around. Hope my legs don’t fall off. Jess-thanks again for driving me to the airport yesterday (?) and helping with my luggage. You’re the best.

9:57pm (Sydney time): I am at my hotel room right now trying to stay awake to let you guys know that I made it safe and sound (too bad that can't be said about one of my pieces of luggage). The hotel's not too shabby and you can't beat the price being this close to the CBD. My cab driver & I actually had a conversation. I think I talked to my cabby more tonight than I have in all my 4+ years in Chicago.
I don't know why, but the Sydneyites (?) must love their Civil Engineers. I got to skip the quarantine line when the checker saw that my profession was a civil engineer. Hope the gals in Australia like the engineers as much as the quarntine guy does.

I'm signing off ... have a good day today in America and I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow night if I can.

If you want to get ahold of me via phone, the phone number you can reach me at is (312)-239-8717. It's a Chicago area code, but I can access through my computer.

10 comments:

Shelley Hebert said...

Yah! You made it...and what an adventure it was! You're awesome! I'm so %@$%@ excited for you...Enjoy yourself! Tom & I miss you already, roomie...

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely. Everyone knows that chick's love engineers. If you come back with a fake accent...I'll kick you in the crotch.

Jano Fabulous said...

Lil' Sis-
Yippee! You are there, let the adventures begin!!! Praise God for the exit row... they rock. I had one when we came back from Europe years ago, it was great. Being completely hungover on a trans-Atlantic flight wasn't great. Remind me to tell yo that story sometime. Don't fall off the bridge!
xoxoxox
-Big Sis

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. I expect you to continue with the 15 min. updates when you are sitting in the comfort of your new office cube - don't let us down.

Andy said...

good to hear you made it down under ok, this blog thingy is pretty interesting...there are people that don't know you commenting (and think you're interesting!--just kidding); I think when you get back you should give jano fab your number. Best wishes in winning over the ladies with your Midwest american accent... I know that shelley girl, I hear that her and that Tom guy are squatters, you should really have somebody check on your place.

Anonymous said...

Hey cool blog mate... glad to hear you made it. Coco has never been on a blog before, I hope it doesn't go to her head, teenagers! and I wouldn't put too much stock in to anything this Andy fellow has to say, I heard he's a real tool.

Anonymous said...

Braised beef is quite a step up from macaroni with butter and pancakes. That's what is called livin the High Life. Glad to hear that you finally made it. Please don't post any photos of you in your banana hammock on the beach.

Bryce said...

Where are the pictures you speak of? Maybe if I open my eyes, I could find them. Oh yea, you made it...good, but where are the pictures :D -Your Favorite Brother

Jano Fabulous said...

Based on his comment it would appear that Andy doesn't realize that I know you. The whole thing about you giving Jano Fab your number when you get back to the states is both really funny and really icky. So have you broken up Nicole and Keith's marriage yet?

Andy said...

After posting the comment, I want to the Jano blog....it all makes sense now...