Monday, July 9, 2007

Dear Diary ...

I’m going to try to keep a running diary through my travels from Chicago to Sydney – 21 ½ hours of screaming kids, old sweating men and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” on the movie screen – yippee! I’m not promising anything exciting or scandalous … more than likely it’ll be pretty boring.

3:55pm (all times CST): I made it through the baggage check-in and security with ease, but leave it to good ol’ Mayor Daley to try and squeeze every last penny out of you. There’s a nice little banner after you get through security stating easy access to the internet. Of course it doesn’t mention that it costs $7 just to access the internet. Nothing like shooting down ones dreams. I was hoping to do a little gate surfing, but I’m going to Jake It and not pay the money. At least not now.

4:15pm: OK, maybe I have a slight internet dependency. It took me all of 5 minutes to cave in and spend the money for internet access.

5:15pm: Just found out that that we are being delayed 40 min. New departure is 6:20pm

5:20pm: It’s nice to see that the only place that has power outlet is on the floor next to the men’s bathroom. Classy.

6:15pm: On the plane … more bad weather to come …may be sitting on the tarmac for another 45-60 min. Being told that our flight will probably arrive at LAX at 10:00 with my flight to Sydney taking off at 10:30. Nothing like cutting it close on your first international flight.

6:25pm: Getting ready for takeoff and there’s an empty seat next to me!!

6:30pm: Not to rip-off Tyler Durden, but it’s amazing how calm & serene the passengers are during the oxygen mask deployment portion of the safety video.

6:40pm: There is no freakin’ way I’m going to be able to sit in coach for 14+ hours to Sydney. I’m already antsy and I’ve only been on the plane for 30 minutes.

7:03pm: And we’re off the ground.

7:30pm: The in flight move is “Blades of Glory.”

11:02pm: The smoothest landing the flight attendant has ever experienced in L.A.

11:17pm: Just found out that my flight to Sydney has been cancelled because the connecting plane’s engine got struck by lightning. I’ll post more of this later after I have a little room service dinner.

2 comments:

Jano Fabulous said...

I totally caved on my vacation and paid for the internet access at our hotel too. Perhaps we could start a support group or something... we are so co-dependent. I blogged about you today and your Australian adventure... the title of the post was "G'Day Nate"

Miss you already!

Anonymous said...

On the bright side...at least the engine was struck by lightening before you got on the plane.