Sunday, August 5, 2007

Kangaroo - The Other White Meat

The five of us Americans headed down the path to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary today. We were suppose to take the ferry down the river to the Sanctuary, but a little misread on my part this morning meant we took the bus instead of the ferry. The Koala Reserve is the world's first & largest koala sanctuary - there's currently over 130 koalas in the park at this time.


I was able to hold a koala and feed kangaroos today ... it was a pretty cool experience. I took a ton of pictures and a couple of videos, so check them out. A couple of videos and a lot of the pictures are of us feeding the kangaroos. The koalas and the kangaroos weren't very active, but we were still able to interact with the kangaroos while we were feeding them. I didn't see any dingos eating any babies tho'.

It's a little perverse, but we had kangaroo for dinner tonight (and it's actually red meat, not white). I have to say it was quite tasty. Hopefully we didn't eat this poor guy's cousin.

1 comment:

Jano Fabulous said...

So you holding a Koala is... well... precious! Never really thought I would ever refer to you as precious. Australia really is an amazing country, if it makes me thing you are precious, huh? The feeding/petting Kangaroos, followed by eating Kangaroos... at first I thought it was weird, but then realized that it was no different than me working with our show cattle every summer when I was a kid growing up and then having a hamburger or steak for lunch or dinner. Guess it is all a matter of perspective.